Apart from engine oil and other fluids, one of the most essential lubricants that every car needs to move is the gear oil. With the best gear oil, the best performance should be expected from any vehicle.
So, are you looking for the best gear oil for your car, or do you just want to know gear oil prices in Nigeria? Whatever your queries may be, this post is for you, as you’ll know everything from the best gear oil based on car brand and their prices.
That’s not all, as all questions such as how much is gear oil in Nigeria, what is the price of gear oil in Nigeria, what is the cost of gear oil in Nigeria, what type of gear oil should I use for my car, and so on will be answered here in this article.
So, if you’re ready to find out about all that and more, just keep reading…
What is Gear Oil
Gear oil is a lubricant made specifically for transmissions, manual gearboxes, transaxles, transfer cases, and differentials in automobiles, trucks, and other machinery. It is of high viscosity and usually contains organosulfur compounds.
As every car requires gear transmission (automatic and manual) to move, gear oil is essential in every part of moving machineries such as cars, trucks, and industrial machines.
The presence of the gear oil in a car protects all the moving parts contained in the gearbox by reducing friction and transferring heat away from them, in other words, making contact and movement smoother.
With adequate and quality gear oil in any moving machinery especially cars, an optimal performance should be expected because gear oil helps again scouring, corrosion, scuffing, and pitting of important drivetrain components of machines/engines.
Gear Oil Price in Nigeria
While all gear oil may perform the same functions, they are not the same as their prices differ.
Gear oil prices in Nigeria are usually determined by several factors including the oil brand, quality, size, and type, as well as location and store/vendor.
With gear oil being one of the most popular and essential fluids in cars, there’s been an increase in demand for all types of gear oils/Automatic transmission fluid (ATM) by several motorists.
Thanks to that increase, the price of gear oil in Nigeria is now more competitive than ever, since all brands (new and old) now strive to offer the best quality gear oils.
Prices of Gear Oil in Nigeria
The following are the prices of gear oil in Nigeria based on brands, types, and sizes.
- Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T-IV 1 Litre — ₦7,000 – ₦10,000
- Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type WS 1 Litre — ₦7,000 – ₦9,000
- Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T-IV 4 Litre — ₦20,000 – ₦34,000
- Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type WS 4 Litre — ₦15,000 – ₦28,000
Oando Gear Oils & Prices
- Oando ATF Dexron II 1 Litre — ₦2,000 – ₦3,500
- Oando ATF Dexron II 4 Litres — ₦4,000 – ₦10,000
- Oando ATF Dexron III 1 Litre — ₦2,500 – ₦4,000
- Oando ATF Dexron III 4 Litres — ₦7,000 – ₦15,000
Honda Gear Oils & Prices
- Honda Genuine Parts Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF Dw-1 1 Litre — ₦3,500 – ₦5,000
- Honda Genuine Parts Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-Z1 1 Litre — ₦3,500 – ₦5,500
- Honda HMMF Multi Matic Fluid — ₦12,000 – ₦16,000
- Honda Genuine 50/50 Prediluted Long Life Antifreeze / Coolant Type 2 — ₦17,500 – ₦22,000
Mobil Gear Oils & Prices
- Mobil Automatic Transmission Fluid(ATF) 220 – 1 Litre — ₦3,500 – ₦5,000
- Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75w-90 — ₦13,000 – ₦18,000
Addinol Gear Oils & Prices
- ADDINOL Automatic Transmission Fluid XN LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Litre) — ₦3,500 – ₦5,500
- ADDINOL Automatic Transmission Fluid XN LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (4 Litres) — ₦13,000 – ₦15,500
- ADDINOL Automatic Transmission Fluid XN LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (5 Litres) — ₦14,000 – ₦17,000
- ADDINOL Automatic Transmission Fluid XN LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (6 Litres) — ₦18,500 – ₦22,000
Abro Gear Oils & Prices
- Abro Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF III (1 Litre) — ₦3,500 – ₦6,000
- Abro Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF III (4 Litres) — ₦8,000 – ₦15,000
Nissan Gear Oils & Prices
- Truvalue Full Synthetic Nissan Matic-J ATF 1 Litre — ₦3,000 – ₦5,500
- Truvalue Full Synthetic Nissan Matic-J ATF 4 Litres — ₦12,000 – ₦15,000
How Much is Gear Oil in Nigeria
With the prices listed above, the cost of 1 litre of gear oil in Nigeria ranges from ₦3,500 to ₦10,000 of which ₦5,000 can be considered the average/common price across every brand and type. On the other hand, 4 litres of gear oil price in Nigeria ranges from ₦4,000 to ₦20,000.
The price of 5 litres of gear oil in Nigeria is between ₦14,000 to ₦20,000, while 6 litres range from ₦18,000 to ₦22,000 in price.
Keep in mind that these prices are not certain as they may vary depending on your location, store, and/or vendor.
Best Types of Gear Oil in Nigeria
Now that you’ve known the prices of various types of gear oil in Nigeria, in order to help you make the best buying decisions, knowing the best type to buy too is necessary.
The best type of gear oil to buy usually depends on your car maker, brand, and sometimes, model. The following are the best types of gear oil for specific types of cars.
Best Gear Oil for Toyota
Since Toyota car makers also manufacture gear oil, Toyota gear oil is considered the best for Toyota cars be it Corolla, Camry, and even Toyota buses.
Here are some of the Toyota gear oils that can be used for all types of Toyota cars.
- Toyota T-IV ATF
- Toyota WS ATF
Best Gear Oil for Honda
Just like the Toyota Automatic transmission fluid, Honda is also a maker of gear oils that are best for all kinds of Honda cars including Accord, Civic, Odyssey, etc.
Here are the best Honda gear oils that can be used for all kinds of Honda cars.
- Honda ATF Dw-1
- Honda ATF Z-1
Best Gear Oil for Trucks
Oando, Mobil, and Addinol gear oils are considered the best for trucks as they are the most used for trucks in Nigeria.
Best Gear Oil for All Car Brands (Mazda, Lexus, Volvo, Benz, Acura, etc)
Oando, Mobil, and Abro are the best types of gear oil that can be used for all types of vehicles.
NOTE: All these are just recommendations. You can visit your mechanic to help you choose the best type of gear oil for your car.
Things to Consider When Buying Gear Oil
Although all gear oils perform similar functions, the quality and best types for a specific type of car may not be this since there are tons of gear oils in the market.
Apart from gear oil prices, there are lots of other vital things to consider while looking to buy the best gear oil for your car. Not putting those things into consideration may lead to engine wear, Slipping or thumping transmission when you shift gears, and a burning smell, so on.
Things to consider while buying gear oil for your car include.
- Car Brand and Model: The brand and model of your vehicle matter in closing the best gear oil. This is because some gear oil may work better for some types of cars than others. E.g Using Toyota gear oil for Toyota Camry or Corolla.
- Gear Oil Brand and Type: The brand and type of gear oil also matter in picking the best gear oil for your car. This is because some types of oil work better for some vehicles than others. E.g Using T4 gear oil for Toyota Camry or Corolla.
- Prices: Also put into consideration the prices of a specific type brand of gear oils based on your location, and vendors/stores.
Best Gear Oil in Nigeria – FAQs
Which gear oil is best for Toyota?
Toyota gear oils are the best for all kinds of Toyota cars. These Toyota gear oils include WS and T4.
What gearbox oil should I use?
The gearbox oil you can use include Mobil, Oando, Abro, Toyota, and Honda Automatic transmission fluid (ATF).
What is manual gear oil price in Nigeria?
1 litre manual gear oil price ranges from ₦3,500 to ₦10,000, while 4 litres ranges from ₦4,000 to ₦20,000 in Nigeria.
What is the T4 gear oil price in Nigeria?
1 litre T4 gear oil price in Nigeria ranges from ₦7,000 to ₦10,000, while 4 litres of T4 gear oil costs between ₦20,000 to ₦34,000.
What is the price of Nissan gear oil in Nigeria?
The price of Nissan gear oil in Nigeria ranges from ₦3,000 to ₦5,500 for 1 litre, and ₦12,000 to ₦15,000 for 4 litres.
What is the WS gear oil price in Nigeria?
1 litre WS gear oil price in Nigeria ranges from ₦7,000 to ₦9,000, while the cost of gear oil WS 4 litres in Nigeria is between ₦15,000 to ₦28,000.
What is the best gear oil for Toyota corolla in Nigeria?
Toyota automatic transmission fluid ATF T4 and WS are the best gear oil for Toyota corolla in Nigeria.
What is the best gear oil for Toyota Camry in Nigeria?
Toyota automatic transmission fluid ATF T4 and WS are the best gear oil for Toyota Camry in Nigeria.
With a lot of gear oil and different prices as well as qualities in the market, picking the best type of gear oil with the best prices may be a little frustrating especially if it is your first time changing your car’s gear oil.
With this post about the gear oil price in Nigeria, I believe we’ve completely answered questions like – how much is gear oil in Nigeria, and what is the best gear oil in Nigeria!